Frequently Asked Questions


What is an Adult Family Home?

An Adult Family Home is one of the living arrangements available to senior citizens and others who cannot comfortably or safely live alone. They are private facilities licensed by the State of Washington with a maximum capacity of six residents.

We are concerned about placing our family member in a care facility and we are feeling confused and guilty about doing so.

This is very common and many people feel this way when faced with this very difficult decision. Rest assured, caring for the safety of your loved one is a loving gesture. Eventually, dangerous falls and other issues have to finally be acknowledged and addressed by the family or guardian. It can be a daunting task for families to care for an elderly person and can be distracting from jobs, family, activities, children, and careers. This is especially true if their loved one also has special needs and services required. Many times the responsibility is placed on one family member who then suffers burnout. Often the best solution is to place a family member in a safe and professional home style environment where care is focused on their needs 24 hours a day.

How do I know which type of care facility to place my family member in?

Generally there are three basic types:

Assisted Living Facilities are for people who are independent in most ways and who are fully cognizant but might need some assistance with daily living activities. Assisted living is a desired place for seniors who do not yet need an adult family home. They are ambulatory, can easily walk to elevators, the lunchroom, and activities that are provided and do not need watching while sleeping during the night. They live as independently as possible in an apartment setting. Assisting living facilities are typically not licensed to give nursing care.

Adult Family Homes are for those who are forgetful, may fall, need help with remembering things, need assistance with activities of daily living, need monitoring or supervision during the day and at night, or who need more intensive help and care. When seniors require 24-hour specialized care and they are at risk for injuring themselves they should consider moving to an Adult Family Home which has both day and night professional licensed care.

Nursing Homes are for those that require more advanced or specialized care in which a typical Adult Family Home cannot provide. A person who has been determined by a physician to have a condition that requires skilled nursing facilities (i.e., they are a danger to themselves or others or have a debilitating condition) would be a candidate for a nursing home.

How can I tell which level of assistance they need?

There are qualified assessors who can do an assessment for an average cost of $300. An assessment is required by law to determine your loved one's care needs and create a care plan based on the assessment. You can contact us and we will provide you with information on how to reach our assessor.

Is it the responsibility of family members to make doctor appointments, pick up and deliver medications, transportation, etc?

We can make doctor appointments and can help arrange the appointment with the family but the family would transport the resident or arrange for transportation. This is standard for most homes due to insurance limitations. We have a visiting home doctor who cares for the majority of the residents in the home. The resident may register with the home doctor if they choose. 

How many caregivers work at iCare Adult Family Home? Is there 24 hour care?

A caregiver is always required to be in the home as per State regulations. At iCare Adult Family Home we have two (2) caregivers on duty 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. During the third shift one caregiver is allowed to sleep. Our caregivers are always nearby and able to provide 1-on-1 assistance for all activities of daily living.

What specific training do your caregivers have for this work?

iCare Adult Family Home staff and providers have to undergo the following training:

  1. Fundamentals of Caregiving
  2. Home Care Aide Certification / CNA
  3. Continuing Education equivalent to 12 hours every year
  4. Nurse Delegation
  5. Mental Health and Dementia
  6. Food Handling
  7. Diabetes
  8. CPR / First Aid

How are your staff members selected?

We diligently seek out dependable, caring, trustworthy, patient, and conscientious people to work with our clients. All of our caregivers have been carefully screened for education, experience, and criminal background.

How long have you been providing home care?

iCare Adult Family Home has been providing high quality care locally for almost 12 years now.

Are you licensed and carry professional insurance?

We are fully licensed and have general liability insurance coverage as required by the State of Washington.

How much does it cost to be cared for at iCare Adult Family Home?

Fees are based on the level of care and services required.

Do you accept Medicare or Medicaid?

Yes, we do accept Medicare or Medicaid and Long Term Insurance.

What is your policy on a private pay resident’s conversion to Medicaid?

When a private pay resident converts to Medicaid the resident can continue to stay. We request that the resident or the family will give two months advance notice.  All residents will continue to stay in a private room and will continue to receive the same level of care.

What if I need to cancel services can I permanently remove the resident at any time?

Canceling services is not a problem especially in a case of an emergency. We would be grateful if you would let us know in advance.

Are all bedrooms private?

We have six (6) private rooms. Five single private bedrooms and one double private bedroom with private bathroom.

How many bathrooms are in the house?

iCare Adult Family Home has three (3) full bathrooms.

Are the bathrooms handicap accessible?

For our resident’s safety and protection all bathrooms and walk in showers have safety bars and grab rails to enable residents to safely enter and exit the bath and shower areas.

What is your visitations policy?

We have an open door policy and the visiting hours are between 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM.

Are there televisions in the resident rooms? How about internet and cable connections?

Television sets and cable connection with all the Premium channels including HBO and Wi-fi are free of charge.

How do I reach someone after office hours?

For ALL emergency calls we are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  All non-emergency calls are taken during business hours between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

What is the quickest way to contact iCare Adult Family Home?

You can call the owner directly  - Opel Canlas at (206) 856-6177

or call the home and ask for the Resident Manager at (425) 640-9095.


For more information on choosing the right Adult Family Home for your loved one, play the video below.


At iCare Adult Family Home, Edmonds

We Believe...

What matters most is providing the BEST quality care and services. iCare Adult Family Home gives you peace of mind knowing your loved one is being cared for.

Core Values:

  • Compassion
  • Respect
  • Hard Working
  • Dedication
  • Dignity


Have questions or want to learn more? We'd love to speak with you! We have a passion for care and we love sharing it. Please give us a call or send us an e-mail. We promise to get back to you within 24 hours.